Saturday, August 4, 2012

Reflection




The dance season came to an end with a little over a month off between seasons. Team try-outs will be here before you know it.  I have learned a lot this past year, and not only about bling, rhinestones, hair, or makeup, but also a lot about myself.  When this season first started I did not fully understand all the time and money that  parents need to invest when we have a daughter who is a dancer on a competitive dance team.  The commitment that is involved does not only come from the dancer but also from the dancer’s family. I should have known better since my mom did it when I was girl but it is not until you commit as a parent and family that it really hits home. 



There was many times this past season where weeks and months would go by and I never took the time to take care of myself or my health.  This past year I have been distant from friends and family while I concentrated on doing the best I could between my job, building a photography business, and six days a week at the dance studio.  I’ve been told I’m crazy!!  I won’t ever deny that I am in fact crazy and that I accept that about myself.  I take full responsibility for my actions and accept the consequences that come with my decision to support both my girls in dance.  I have to tell you that every tear shed, the late nights, the long drives, frustrations while rhinestoning, and even the way-over-the-top competition hair was worth it after seeing Leyla and her team dance their little butts off on stage.



This year I watched Leyla start the year quiet and reserved and blossom into a child with self-confidence and who believes in herself as much as I believe in her.  Dancing gave Leyla something to be excited about every day.   The friendships she made this year will always be remembered and be a part of her life as she becomes a young lady.   The long-distance drive to the dance studio that I complained about often in my blog was actually a blessing because it gave Leyla and I good mother-daughter bonding time.  The bonding time was way overdue and we became much closer this past year.   


As years pass and I get older more and more people I care deeply about have passed on.   This year, more than ever, I have a clear picture and understanding of how precious and wonderful life is.  My mom use to tell me when I was a child that the older you get the faster times goes by. I never really understood what she meant by that statement until now.  Days, weeks, months, and years seem to be on fast forward and I’m constantly asking for more time.  How much time as individuals are we willing to sacrifice away from the people we love for our jobs?  Since time doesn’t have a price tag and you never know when it will run out, I have decided not to waste another second trying to be everything and everywhere at the same time.  Through Leyla’s passion in dance I found my passion in photography; and found a career that makes me excited to wake up every morning. 



As of mid-July I am no longer an employee with Long Realty. I still work with them but as an independent contractor and have their support and blessing to pursue Photography full-time.   I have met some incredible people in the real estate industry and have enjoyed being able to offer career opportunities to individuals looking for more in their careers.  It is very rewarding to be a part of other people’s success and helping them build their dreams.  I love how it has worked out with Long because I am now able to make my own hours and will be able to make the time for my business and for everything else in my life. 




No comments:

Post a Comment