Monday, January 16, 2012

Five more days before Leyla‘s first dance competition of the New Year !

Shining Star Dance Group
Dancing Leyla

Ok, never in a million years did I think I would ever Blog!! I changed my mind when my daughter started to compete competitively in dance. This Blog is for all the performing art parents or the parents who are thinking about putting their child in a competitive group. 




Five more days before Leyla‘s first dance competition of the New Year and I cannot believe how nervous I am for her.   This is her first year that she will compete in eight dance numbers.  Her dance team is called Shining Star and they practice their dances for over 15 hours a week!   How these kids do dance and school and do not drop from exhaustion amazes me.  This weekend’s competition is in Phoenix. They will have five dances in the competition.  All of the Shining Star group numbers are back to back with a 10 minutes break in between to change costumes.  This is going to be interesting!  Did I mention that I had to put in and take out a pony hair piece between dances?  I’m having anxiety attack just thinking about it!! =D.  I have been running around like crazy trying to get ready for this weekend.  You wouldn’t believe all the things you need to do to prepare for a competition.   Just call me an ATM because I haven’t stop spending money since she started dancing.  Last week I bought black jazz shoes, tan Jazz shoes, dance paws, boots, body glitter spray, tan footless tights, tan footed tights, fishnet stockings, fake eye lashes, Rhinestone chokers, Rhinestone hair ties, and the list goes on and on. 

For the first time in my life I attended my very first “Dance Mom’s Rhinestone Party.”   Yes, I said Rhinestone party!!  A Rhinestone party is when a group of mom’s getting together to glue different size Rhinestones to costumes.  As if the costume didn’t have enough bling to begin with.  Apparently, judges score on how have much the costume shines and sparkles.  Each Rhinestone has to be glued perfectly in the right spot; exactly half inch away from each other.  Each mother has a picture that maps out where each Rhinestone goes.  Do you know how hard that is for someone, like me, who has ADHD?  I did find that after a drink or two gluing Rhinestones is kind of fun. 

Another mother and I are new to this dance mom group this year.  Dance teams are divided by age and skill level.  The group of girls that Leyla dances with has been together since they were 5 years old and are incredible dancers.  I was scared to death when I found out Leyla was going to be on this team.  The kids have been great with accepting new team members on the team.   As weird as this may sound, and for as much as I go on about 15 hours of dance, travel, and feeling like an ATM sometimes,  I have to admit that I love every moment!!    Let the countdown began to this weekend competition!


On stage

1 comment:

  1. omg this is so exciting!! I Cant wait to read more!! Make your pictures bigger on here tho by clicking the picture and saying X-LARGE!! That way we can see the pictures better!! xoxoxooxox
    Jessica Strehlow

    ReplyDelete