Saturday, January 28, 2012

Now that the first competition of the year has come to an end!



TMC fundraiser Magic performance
Now that the first competition of the year has come to an end and I have some time to relax and have a glass of wine, or two, or three, hmm… who’s counting?  Words cannot describe how good it feels not to be overwhelmed, or worried, about competition hair and rhinestones.  I cannot stop thinking about how unprepared I was for this first competition of the year.   I am so embarrassed, and the worst part is that I really don’t have any good excuses considering that as a child, and for most of my teen years, I danced competitively.   Feeling out of control is one thing, but being out of control is a recipe for disaster; which usually causes me to have a complete melt down.  Ok, I’m being a little dramatic.

 The truth is that this isn’t the first time I haven’t been prepared for one of Leyla’s competitions.   I guess the last time was not bad enough because I must have subconsciously told myself to bring it on this time!  I love overcoming challenges…yea!

 Last year I waited for the last minute to buy lipstick and eye lashes.  So, what is the big deal about buying lipstick or eye lashes at the last minute?  You must be thinking “how hard can that be”?  You have no idea!!  We arrived in Phoenix at around 11 p.m., sound familiar?  Déjà vu.  We stopped at Walgreens to pick up the lipstick and eye lashes with all three kids before we went  to the hotel.  The only problem was that they didn’t carry the color lipstick or the eye lash brand that was required for competition.  Since this was Leyla’s first competition I didn’t want to be that mom.  You know, the mom that couldn’t follow directions; I’m not kidding. Have you ever heard coaches or dance teachers talk about parents when they are not around?  I didn’t want to be that parent in their next conversation.   So instead Charlie, once again, drove to Walgreens, CVS, Sally’s and Target, and none had the lip color or specific brand of eye lashes.  After a very long night of driving around Charlie and I threw in the towel and compromised on something pretty close.  I kept my fingers crossed that there were not going to line up the girls to make sure they had the right lip color and eye lashes on.  One of the mom’s told me that they did that one year.  Who knows if that’s really true but she scared the bejesus out of me.   

Leyla’s next big competition is not until March and is in Albuquerque, NM.   Leyla and I are really hoping to see the Abby Lee dance team from Dance Moms.  Can you imagine??  That gives me plenty of time to regroup and redeem myself to the other dance moms in our group.  I’m off to a good start because I bought two plane tickets and RL booked our room.  It is just going to be me, Leyla, RL, and Jade.  I know I’m going to be in good hands; hopefully she will be a good influence on me and I won’t rub off on her! =)  I already created a check list, and plan on packing Leyla’s bags weeks before competition (might just start packing next weekend!).

The week following the competition the girls returned to class and watched a video for each of their performances.  The video had an audio of the judge’s critique and some complements for each performance.  I love the fact that the girls were able to hear about their strengths and weaknesses though the eyes of the judges.  This particular competition had many different categories in which you could win an award.  Everyone is a winner!!  What kind of nonsense is that?  REALLY???   To the best of my knowledge there is Silver, High Silver, Gold, High Gold, and Platinum.  The Star Systems website  states that  the judges scoring system is: 88 – 90 – “Platinum” 87.99-86 – “High Gold” 85.99-84 – “Gold” 83.99-81 – “High Silver” 80.99-77 -”Silver” Are you confused yet?  What ever happened to just First, Second, Third, and perhaps even Fourth?  Do they really think that by changing numbers and having multiple categories the girls won’t be able to figure out that Silver pretty much means, thanks for participating.  The shining Star team took high gold and second overall in their age category for their Party Girl dance out of 22 dance teams!!  The other dances received at least High Gold and Gold but did not place in the top four overall in their category.  The girls are back to practice and their teachers are cracking down to prepare for the next competition. 
Daning Leyla
Amanda
RL and Jade


No comments:

Post a Comment